The Northwest Arkansas Gridiron Show will hold casting calls for professional journalists, journalism students, communication professionals, and teachers and professors of journalism who are interested in helping raise money used for scholarships and defending the Freedom of Information Act.
The casting calls will be at:
- 7 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 23, at the Arkansas Union Theatre on the University of Arkansas campus in Fayetteville. (See directions below.)
- 2 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 27, at the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette office at 2560 N. Lowell Road in Springdale. (See directions below.)
The 2017 Gridiron Show will be performed on Oct. 6 and 7 at the Arkansas Public Theater in Rogers. It features sketches and songs that satirize local, state and national politics and cultural trends.
Those interested in participating, whether in front of the curtain or behind, are encouraged to come to at least one of the casting calls. Parts are available for actors, dancers, singers and occasional pratfalls, whatever will make an audience laugh.
- 7 p.m. Wednesdays, starting Aug. 30 at Arkansas Union Theatre.
- 2 p.m. Sundays, starting Sept. 10 at NWA Arkansas Democrat-Gazette office.
- 6:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 2 — Move-in and staging rehearsal at Arkansas Public Theatre in Rogers. (See directions below.)
- 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 4 — Tech set and full run-through, ideally with costumes where possible
- 5 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 5 — Dress rehearsal with audience starts at 7 p.m.
- 6 p.m. Friday, Oct. 6 — Doors open for audience at 6:30; show starts at 7:30.
- 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 7 — Doors open for audience at 6:30; show starts at 7:30.
- Arkansas Union Theatre (Wednesday rehearsals) – The Arkansas Union Theatre is on the fourth floor of the Arkansas Union. Parking is usually available in the parking deck just south of the Union and accessible from Stadium Drive.
- Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, 2560 N. Lowell Road (Sunday rehearsals)
• From Fayetteville: go north on U.S. 71B. It becomes Thompson Street in Springdale. Turn right on Randall Wobbe Lane at stop light. Take first left onto Lowell Road. The NWADG building is on the left after about two blocks. Use one of the employee entrances on the east side of the building.
• From Interstate 49: Exit at Wagon Wheel Road and go east. Turn right onto U.S. 71B (Thompson Street in Springdale). Turn left onto County Line Road (County Line Liquor Store is at that corner). Take first right onto Lowell Road. The NWADG building is on the right after about a block. Use one of the employee entrances on the east side of the building.
- Arkansas Public Theater (formerly Rogers Little Theater)
• From Interstate 49, take Walnut Street exit and go east to Third Street in Rogers. Turn right onto Third Street. The theater is mid-block on the right. Park on street for rehearsals, but plan to park on side streets the night of the performances.
• From points south, take U.S. 71B to Walnut Street, turn right onto Walnut. Turn right onto Third Street. The theater is mid-block on the right. Park on street for rehearsals, but plan to park on side streets the night of the performances.